Saturday, December 17, 2011

Sugar Cookies

Since the beginning of our marriage (16 year ago!), every year at Christmas my husband bakes sugar cookies.  I'm a great baker, and I love it, but sugar cookies are something I've never been good at.  I'm just fine at making the dough, but the rolling pin and I are NOT friends.  Many years ago, we just frosted the cookies and called it good.  However, over the past couple of years since I've gotten into this decorating thing, I've taken over the frosting of the cookies...
From December 2011

The idea being to make it as easy as possible to decorate, while still making them pretty...after all we did around 7 dozen cookies. 
From December 2011


I used my special butter cream frosting recipe....and lots of it!
From December 2011

Quite possibly the prettiest cookies I've ever decorated...I was almost giddy with excitement over how the snowflakes turned out!

Christmas Trees
From December 2011


Stars
From December 2011


Snowmen
From December 2011


And of course, the 3 Wise T-Rex's....
From December 2011

(I was running out of green frosting at this point, so the frosting job sucks, but the T-Rex's are for my kids, and they're not picky.  For the story on the 3 Wise T-Rex's, check out my husband's blog)

I know that sugar cookies frosted with royal icing are typically "prettier", but there is just something about biting into one of these soft sugar cookies loaded with butter cream frosting that transports me to gastronomic heaven! 

For frosting, I used the Wilton Star tip (21, I think).  All colors were Wilton as well. 

No comments: