Thursday, December 22, 2011

I have a teenager now....

...and just how was I supposed to decorate a birthday cake for my 13 year old son!?  He wouldn't want anything "babyish" or remotely girly.  Also, with the added possibility that my definition of girly and babyish might not coincide with his definition...

I remembered a cake that Amanda from I Am Baker made a while back...multi colored "dots".  I decided to use Kyle's favorite color (green), as well as a deep blue and and orange. 

From December 2011


First I crumb coated the cake with uncolored vanilla buttercream, and let it set up  in the fridge for an hour. 
Then, using the Wilton 1A tip (Thanks, Rach, for letting me borrow yours so I could have 3) I alternated colors til I had a good idea of what the pattern was.  I didn't plan on the "spiky" effect, but I liked the dimension it gave the cake...

From December 2011


I was really happy with how it turned out, and it tasted divine!  Plus, my 13 year old was really happy with it, and that was the most important thing.  :)

2 comments:

Rachael said...

It turned out looking so good. Your so welcome for the friendly advise while working on it (And thank you for the same.) I'm only sad I didn't get to try it.

Kutya said...

Hehe, it´s really funny cake! Like dicobraz :-))))