Thursday, January 19, 2012

January, Week 2 Progress

Well, good and bad things happened during week 2. 
Monday 1-9   I ran my normal 3.2 mile course around my neighborhood in 21 degree temperatures.  I felt pretty good until mile 2, when my legs started to get cold.  At mile 3, I started to feel unstable on my cold legs, so I walked the rest of the course. 

Tuesday 1-10  I had a "Brilliant" idea about 3/4 of a mile into my usual course...the track at my kids' elementary school looked completely ice free, so I thought I'd do 4 laps there (= to 1 3/4 miles), then just take my normal route home...which made my miles almost 4.  It was a great plan...until I got to the part of the school's track that cuts across the playground.  That part was a solid sheet of ice.  Crap...but I was committed so I just walked that part and ran the rest.  It felt really good, and I got in nearly 4 miles.  When I got home however, my right calf was a little sore and my left knee was having a few twinges. 
Wednesday 1-11  I skipped my planned yoga session and went afternoon skiing instead.  I had a fabulous time...the snow was pretty good considering it's all man made.  I did have this little problem where my pole got caught on something and I fell...I hit my head and slid down the hill.  Mostly it just hurt my wrist, but I took it easy the rest the afternoon. 
Thursday  1-12  I gave myself a rest day because of my skiing fall.  My neck was aching and I didn't want to hurt myself more.  I rested on Friday as well because it was the 2nd day of my 2 shifts in a row.  Friday night at work I ran on a code, and I could really feel that I strained my calf more.  Shoot.  I iced it immediately, and it felt better.  It felt so good I decided to run on the treadmill after working. 
Saturday 1-14  4am  on Saturday, I ran 3.5 miles on the treadmill...and it sucked.  After working 12 hours, and straining my calf, the entire run just seemed really hard.  Funny thing was, my calf didn't hurt at all while I was on the treadmill...just as soon as I finished. 

I took the rest of the holiday weekend off.  I've been icing my calf a few times a day, taking my anti-inflammatories, and today I got a massage.  I also went and got my feet evaluated at Striders.  I have a neutral stride, and really high arches.  I bought some insoles that will hopefully help with my persistent Plantar Fasciitis, as well as my calf issue.  I also got some KT tape and instructions on how to tape up my various injuries. 

I also bought a foam roller this week.  I usually do yoga at least once a week, so I wasn't expecting to be especially tight.  I WAS WRONG.  Oh my gosh, my IT band was extremely tight, as were my calves.  I am a foam rolling convert, I could feel the tight spots releasing. 

Overall, I'm really pleased with my progress this month.  Now, if I could just heal up these injuries....

No comments: